Wednesday, 10 June 2009

And here's the kaftan to go with the shorts...or was it the other way round?

*scratchesheadinconfusion* Yeah, it was the other way round!

I bought this material in Greece last year and it wasn't cheap, so I knew I had to make something memorable with it, and I ended up initially making mini skirts for myself and my lovely friend Corina. But that did make me panic somewhat, as I wondered if I would then have enough material left to make anything significant.....was I making a start on the 'scraps' first you may say - and perhaps I was!!

I've decided to post two pictures of it here, as the first is not that clear, as I took it on a backlight setting with no flash, but anyhow, I digress......

I had a very pretty kaftan/tunic that I bought in Bergen a few years ago that I adore, but hate wearing it all the time, as it's embroidered on the edge and I don't want to wear it out, so I made a pattern from it and ended up with this version. I modified the sleeves so that they were in two pieces which just gives it a bit more detail

And as it's a little see-through, I now have a sweet little pair of shorts to wear underneath to spare my modesty - happy days! :-)

Shorts and more shorts.....

Well you know me by now, I love nothing better than messing around with a bit of scrap fabric, so here's my latest offerings!

In both cases, the shorts took less than a metre of fabric with differing looks....

This pair were made from the leftovers of a kaftan/tunic I made on Monday. Because the edge of the material is already fancy, there wasn't much embellishment to be done on them, so these mamas took about 40 minutes! "That's quick!" you say, but that's when I ran into a little 'bother' with them, as I decided to stitch some pretty grosgrain ribbon which matches that in the kaftan over the casing for the elastic, so that it would gather up when the elastic was threaded through....and that's when the fun started, as it took me an hour and a half to finally be able to distribute the elastic evenly, because, try as I did, it just wouldn't work! Now my fingers are all red and sore, but hey, no pain, no gain right? ;-)

Didn't feel like that at the time, I can tell you, and now that I finally have my own little label, I decided to stitch it onto this pair!
Little Miss Norway designs are finally on their way - whoo-hoo!

And then there was this little pair, which was the leftovers from Flora's material!! The only problem with these tho, was that I cut them without the pattern and eneded up making the crotch too long, making them look like a mini skirt when they were on, so I needed a remedy...
And with that, I decided to run some elastic through the bottom of them, making them sit a little tighter on the legs, making them look like a sweet little pair of bloomers, with the usual little bows to finish - voila!